Mountain Huts Preservation Society Inc

Mountain Huts Preservation Society Inc.

Kara Hut – Mt Wellington

The solid stone hut known as Kara Hut is located on Mt. Wellington and was built in 1923 by Frank Keats – hence it was previously known as Keats Hut, although Keats himself referred to it as the Stone Hut. Restoration work was carried out in 1952 by the then hut caretakers but fifteen years later the hut was reduced to a stone shell when it was severely burnt in the 1967 bushfires which ravaged the southern areas of Tasmania.  The Hut was rebuilt approximately 12 months later by Ted Cornish, Roy Davies and family members and friends, and today is in good condition.  An iron roof is supported by stone walls and a large chimney caters for the open fireplace.  Three bunks are contained within the single roomed building and shutters protect the glass windows.

Scroll to Top